Monday, September 15, 2008

Soccer Sam

so, i want to tell you about soccer practice. After a rough time last monday, Sam was pretty upbeat today. when he got home from school he said "mom, i prayed about soccer 3 times today!" but not in a whiny way. he asked me to cheer for him loud enough for him to hear. he was fine til we pulled up in the parking lot. then it was "i'm scared, i don't think i can do this. . . " We kept walking and i practically had to push him on the field and run in the other direction. i teared up a little as he cried. it was a bit embarrassing, but mostly i was sad for him. he cried louder than day 1, and reached his arms toward me every once in a while. this went on for about 20 minutes. he followed the crowd, as they played their scrimage game, but he still cried. the coach just ignored it for the most part, unless he was trying to talk, and then he might say, "listen up, sam". I wanted to go scoop him up. I kept trying to think WWJD--What would Jesse do?

BUT THEN! I didnt think i really liked this coach too much. thought he expected the kids to know a little too much about how to play the game, and wasnt sure if he was what sam needed (although i couldnt tell you what he needed anyway). But after about 20 minutes or so, as the team ran down the field, the coach kneeled down and talked to sam. i don't know what he said. Sam just said the coach talked to him about how you play soccer. but it was amazing. sam stopped crying. he started running with the ball. he stopped looking over at me and reaching. instead he'd look over just to make sure i was watching him, and then he'd smile. he tried really really hard. i thought he'd drop, with how hard and fast he was running. i could see him get into the "team" thing more. cheering when his side made a goal and smiling at a kid next to him. working as a team was one of the main things i wanted to see him get out of soccer, and i saw the beginning of it tonight. when he was done he was excited and proud. he told me he thinks he might like soccer. he's a little nervous about meeting a new team at their first game saturday, but motlsy he's determined to practice and do well. tonight, in his bed, he said "mom, do you think i can put my cleats and shinguards next to my bed so when i wake up i can get them on and be ready to practice in the morning?"

We'll see what happens saturday, but i think we just may have crossed this hurdle. But once again, Sam shows us that if we're patient, he'll be great.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Way to go Sam!

Sara Jane said...

Sarah, I have to say since you shared with me your blog address I have read everything you write and it is heartwarming, We have never met and yet we are sisters in Christ, I feel like I know you and I so identify with a lot of what you go through on a daily basis minus the hubby being away at war.

I loved this entry and so felt your pain, embarrassment and lack of faith in your child's coach,and pride when you saw him kick into gear (pardon the pun) Sam did great and it seems with encouragement and prayer he will continue to do well.
You have inspired me to start my own blog, I will email you it's address. Praying blessing on you and yours.
Sara Lenz