Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Date. And all that led up to it.

Today Jess and I went on a great date. I can't even remember how long it's been since we've been out, just the two of us. Maybe a year. Now I must tell you I DO NOT recommend this. This blog is full of things I wouldn't recommend. Just look here or here. We've decided it needs to be a priority for us, even if it means shelling out big bucks for either one older babysitter or two younger ones to handle our 4 hooligans.

Luckily, we've sat for our friends 2 older, well behaved kids like a zillion times to add up to a day with our brood. To top it off, I've never left Adeline for more than a couple of hours. Today we left her for nine. Nine hours without me OR my you-know-whats. She did absolutely fine. We are blessed to have friends like the Barretts.

So you want to know where we went for nine hours? The Verizon Heritage PGA tournament on Hilton Head. We went to watch Tommy "Two-Gloves" Gainey. He gave us the tickets. Yeah. That's right. More about that later. Now, I must confess: I don't enjoy watching golf, talking about golf, or hearing about golf. It just bores me. But I had such a nice time today and wasn't once bored. I enjoyed the perfect 70 degree weather, the beautiful lowcoutry scenery, the sound of the ball on those long drives, the pleasant company of my husband and Tommy's sweet fiance and friends, and most of all, the quiet. I LOVED being in a place where everyone had to speak just above a whisper. It was almost heaven.

Now, rewind to this weekend. Here is what Jess has been doing (after he got back from his work trip to Puerto Rico :-) See, my brother-in-law works in marketing for a big water heater company. The company sponsors the Hootie and the Blowfish Monday after the Masters Celebrity Pro-Am in Myrtle Beach. They also sponsor Tommy Gainey. The tournament teams 4 players up with a pro and a celebrity. Brother-in-law was playing one spot with a few of his customers. The celebrity was wrestling legend Ric Flair who was a little injured so guess who they got to fill that spot? My lucky husband. You can read more about the tournament here. So he spent the weekend with Ric, Tommy, and a host of celebrities and athletes. AND played a round of golf in front of a gallery of fans (ok, they weren't his fans but they were watching) AND managed not to hit anyone of those fans on his long drive, AND was interviewed by the golf channel, AND came home with amazing SWAG. He really liked Tommy and his brother/caddy, Allen, so when we got the opportunity to go see them today, we were excited. O should also let you know that we LOVE our brother-in-law because he's nice and fun to be around. It just happens that he shares a few perks and we're grateful for that too. AND we have a total of 5 brothers/brother-in-laws and we LOVE them all!




That's been our exciting life. Now it's back to real life. But both of us have decided that we like our real life WAY better.

4 comments:

Heather E said...

What a fun and amazing opportunity! I can totally relate to enjoying the quiet of it all.

Fresh Footprints said...

Sarah, how fun and exciting! I'm glad you were able to take some time away and enjoy it, even if golf wasn't your thing, but maybe it is now! (I watched some of the masters this year and actually got into it too!) Happy Birthday to your baby girl! I loved the pic of Sam hugging Addie. I also love Ella's hair - VERY cute.

Suzanne said...

Wow....wow wow wow. Tell Jess nicely done! I never liked it when the guys would watch golf all afternoon UNTIL I started to think of it as quality time with the family WHILE NAPPING! It seems that all that is required is my presence to make it a family afternoon....I don't have to be conscious.

ejm said...

yay! Fun! Good for y'all!